TruTV has a good write-up about the overall story. We provide a narrative from a different perspective.
The narratives are about Jaycee Dugard and her time in captivity. We have used her identity of Alyssa in our narratives as that was her identity then.
We have left out the word 'allegedly' to describe the kidnapping and her kidnappers. Please feel free to insert it yourself where you think it is appropriate.
We trust that some day, those psychiatrists and psychologists that worked closely in this case will write about their experiences and what they have learnt from it. This case will surely be a case studies in academia. Jaycee Dugard's mental state will surely change as she interacts with the public.
Sources of Information and Analysis
Our narratives are built up based on the photos that had been published, the GPS data, Phillip Garrido's religious writings, past victims, statement given to the media by neighbours, family members after the recovery of Jaycee Dugard and the books that were found in her tent.
When we started our narratives, the storyline line was that of a sad and tragic story of a young girl who was kidnapped. A young life ruined and the whole family traumatised. As we developed our narratives and analysed the few years before her recovery, it became clear that we have a human drama unfolding.
As we analysed the statements that have been released into the public domain and in the media, we realized that this is an ongoing story that will be played out in public. There is always a possibility that Jaycee Dugard may in the future re-establish contact with Phillip Garrido. After all, they were family with 2 children and were sex partners for that many years in that backyard compound. Their relationship between a master and slave had deepened as the years progressed and was likely to be lovers. The forbidden love between a kidnapped girl who had grown into an adult woman and her male kidnapper.
Life Imitating Art
The story became that of a kidnapped girl that had been repeatedly raped in the earlier years. She grew into an adult woman in that backyard compound. Somewhere along the years, she developed emotional and sexual desires for her captor/rapist. It was life imitating art. The human drama as society tries to understand the psychology of a captive girl that survived her captivity by providing sex for love and her male kidnapper provided love for sex.
Here we have an adult woman just recovered from the backyard compound after 18 years of captivity, stating to the world that her relationship with her male rapist was “almost like a marriage”. We are told that she has strong feelings for her rapist.
But on further analysis of that statement, it was a truthful statement of her reality in that compound. She had been kidnapped, raped and forced to be his 'wife' from very early on and she had been conditioned to accept that reality. Essays by Joyce Carol Oates found in the tent would had been used to condition her to that reality.
The fact that she had developed strong feelings for Phillip Garrido can be understood when one realized that she had been his sex slave for that many years. She had grown from a young girl into an adult woman with emotional and sexual needs. He had shaped her personality at that impressional age. He was a sexual athlete and the little girl had grown and adapted to his voracious sexual appetite. That was the single dimensional world that she grew up in that backyard compound and her normality for that many years.
In order to understand that, we can only conclude that over the years, her perspective of Phillip Garrido had changed from rapist to husband, sex partner, lover, pimp and protector. He was now a changed man and good with her kids. That was the powerful heart-warming story that Jaycee Dugard was supposed to tell the world.
Communications using the media?
On October 14, the first photo of Jaycee Dugard appeared in People magazine. The necklace she was wearing was obscured by the phrase “I ‘m so happy to be back”.
On October 20, another photo of Jaycee Dugard on horseback with her mother Terry Probyn appeared in Hello magazine. Was she wearing a crucifix or a love Ankh? Was she sending a love message to Phillip Garrido?
Church of God's Desire
There are reasons to believe that the Church of God's Desire was setup mainly for financial gain and Alyssa became the centre of that worship. In that backyard compound, Dan Brown's god and the divine feminine took form in God's Desire. Phillip Garrido was god in that backyard compound and his sex slave, Alyssa was God's Desire. It was an evolving concept based around the characters in the novels of Dean Koontz, Bast the Egyptian Sex Goddess and wrapped around some form of Christian worship. Her childhood love for cats had been nurtured into sexual identity which was Bast, the Sex Goddess.
Oblique Statements, Double Entendre and Innuendos
Many people have dealt with Phillip Garrido and comparing his statements and what we know now, we conclude he has a duplicitous character. This had been confirmed by his first wife Christine Murphy who was interviewed on InsideEdition. She did say that he was a good manipulator.
His statements of events have to be taken as something had happened but not what had been insinuated or implied. In 1994, it was reported that while out soliciting for business, he made a statement to Janice Gomes that his wife had given birth. We know now that the wife he referred to was Alyssa, his newly adopted 'wife' that he had raped. The other instances are in his own writings about having sex with his wife and feeling remorseful after ejaculation. That wife would most certainly be Alyssa.
Jaycee Dugard was kidnapped in June 10 1991 at about 8 am on the way to the bus stop near her home. She was taken to the home of her kidnappers and for the first year of her captivity, she was kept in a sound proof shed in the backyard compound. She was repeatedly raped and abused by Phillip and Nancy Garrido. She was subjected to their sexual depravity and those experiences were seared into her consciousness. She feared this human beast and over the years remembered what he was capable of. She endured his depravity and learned to adapt to his needs to survive. It was always in her sub-consciousness throughout her 18 years of captivity.
The kidnapping was all about the sexual gratification of Phillip Garrido. Throughout the 18 years, everything he did was focused on meeting that sexual gratification.
Jaycee Dugard was probably pre-puberty when she was kidnapped. She transitioned from pre-puberty girl into a young mother by age 14. According toe the recent report, Angel was born in August 1994 and Starlit (Scarlett?) in November 1997. Alyssa was aged 14 when she had Angel and 17 when she gave birth to Starlit (Scarlett?). When she was finally allowed out of the sound-proof shed, she had a new identity. Alyssa was to be her new identity and she was never to give her old identity to anyone. She understood what the retribution could be. She had endured the physical abuse and the sexual depravity before.
Psychological Conditioning and Emotional Manipulation
In the early days of her captivity, the 11 year old child would be living in a world of fear, terror and disbelief. Fear of being away from her family, terror of her new environment and her captors and disbelief at her situation. These are the early days where she would have been most traumatic for her. To calm the child, it is likely they told her they loved her. Yet as the days passed, they raped her. She was have been subjected to physical, verbal and psychological abuse. She learned and adapted to their demands to lessen the abuse. She underwent psychological degradation and became dependent on her captors for her emotional and psychological well-being.
Our narratives are focused on the period from April 2008 till August 26 2009 when she identified herself as Jaycee Dugard to the parole officer and the Concord police under interrogation. This was the period when GPS monitoring was imposed on Phillip Garrido and we analysed the data and gave our interpretation.
We developed our narratives from the visit of Phillip Garrido to the University of California, Berkeley. We examined that visit within the context of the US economic recession and its impact on his own business Print for Less.
Since the real estate crash in late 2007, Pittburg and Antioch's foreclosure rates often were among the nation's highest. The local economy was not doing well. Many local business was starting to cut costs. In January 2008, Nancy Garrido started a music blog site to attract investors to Phillip Garrido's music. By mid 2008, with the collapse of many local businesses and decreased in retail sales, there were less need for business cards and brochures.
Print for Less was not doing well. Phillip Garrido began to explore other sources of income. Nancy Garrido started a web site to sell his music. Alyssa at age 29 had the idea she could become a model and Phillip Garrido took upon himself to sell God.
In April 2008, the Department of Correction and Rehabilitation compelled Phillip Garrido to wear a GPS device on his leg.
On April 24, 2008 God's Desire was registered as a corporation in California. Sometime in June 2008, he has taken Alyssa and the 2 girls to Pittsburg to pitch God's Desire.
Phillip Garrido and the family he supported survived at bottom of the American food chain. When that bottom fell out, so did the family. Their finances had been deteriorating.
In 2008, police had questioned him about accusations that he swindled $18,000 out of an elderly neighbour, which he said was a donation to his “Church of God’s Desire”. Such was the financial difficulties he faced like many Americans as the economy deteriorated.
On Sept 15 2008 Lehman Brothers filed for Chapter 11 Bankruptcy protection. Dow crashed by 500 points. Fears of a global financial meltdown grew as the world’s biggest bankruptcy plunged markets into turmoil. Images of Lehman employees in New York and London leaving buildings yesterday with belongings packed in cardboard boxes became the defining moment. Bear Stearns, Citi Group, AIG and many other financial institutions collapsed or had to be rescued by the US Government.
During the summer month of July, he had been busy out at JM Enterprise. Jim Molino was a customer and business associate of his and he had set-up tent to promote his Church of God's Desire. He had brought girls out to that car wreckage yard. His relationship with Jim Molino started sometime in 1999 when left his job at the recycling plant to focus fulltime on the printing business.
Coming out of the July-August summer holidays of 2009 and after one whole lazy summer of prolonged sexual copulation with Alyssa in the air-conditioned shed, he was ready to go further afield to promote his church. And on Monday, Aug 24 2009, it took him to the University of California, Berkeley.
Our narratives tell the reader the following:
1. Alyssa was a new identity created by Phillip Garrido. Alyssa was the girl Friday in that backyard compound. During the day, she was the older sister of Angel and Starlit. At night, she was Phillip Garrido's sex partner.
2. She helped out as the graphic designer for Print for Less which was the family printing business. For many years, the printing business provided the main source of income to feed the family of 6 which included Pat Garrido (mother of Phillip Garrido), Phillip and Nancy Garridos, Alyssa, Angel and Starlit.
3. In the earlier years of captivity, he adopted her as his 'wife'. It was the start of her sex slavery. She conditioned herself to be his sex partner. Not that she had the choice of refusal.
4. In time, he nurtured her love for cats into a sexual identity. Alyssa became the feline Goddess Bast, the Goddess of Sex.
5. Phillip Garrido slept with Alyssa nightly except on those days whenever she was menstruating.
6. On those nights identified in the OIG Report where there were alerts, Phillip Garrido spent the night with Alyssa largely in the big family tent next to her own tent at the back of the garden. He had learned how to disable the GPS receiver. The methods for disabling it are discussed here.
7. About 17 July 2009 - Alyssa last slept with Phillip Garrido in the family tent which was their Temple of Sex. For the following few days, she was menstruating. Cardboard boxes and other stuff were stacked high on the bed and it was never used again. The photo taken by Nick Stern on the afternoon of August 26 2009 and captured the state of the tent then.
8. 23 July - 23 August 2009 - Alyssa slept in the arms of Phillip Garrido in the air-conditioned shed. They had moved to one of the shed to avoid the high mid-summer temperature. His GPS signal was disabled and the signal was completed blocked within the air-conditioned shed. It was the height of the North American summer holidays and they spent at least 9 hours daily sleeping and copulating in that shed. During the day, Phillip Garrido, Alyssa and the 2 girls have been taken to town for movies, meals and the Antioch library. One of their last borrowings were Shadow Bridge and Game of Throne.
There were very little business activity during that period. Most of the businesses in Antioch were closed for the summer holidays. The air-conditioned shed was not used during the day and very likely locked up. The fish tank was not cleaned. Alyssa menstruation started on the 23 August 2009. This information was derived from analysing the GPS data and discussed here.
9. 24-25 August 2009 - Alyssa menstruation had just started. Phillip Garrido took the 2 girls Angel and Starlit to the University of California, Berkeley. This was to give Alyssa some rest during the day in her own tent. Those 2 nights, he slept in the house with Nancy Garrido. Alyssa worked in the backyard garden during the day and spent those 2 nights on her own in the backyard garden. She had her books for company.
10. 26 August 2009 - Our interpretation of events at the parole office. Alyssa disclosed to the parole officer that she is the mother of the 2 younger girls in the presence of Nancy Garrido. She tried to provide an alibi for Phillip Garrido and vouched for his character.
11. From the GPS data, we worked out that Alyssa has a 35 day menstrual cycle.
12. From the photos, we worked out that Alyssa read her books at night in her own tent until it was time for her to join Phillip Garrido in the family tent. She would lie on the couch to do her reading with the lamp directed into the tent wall which reflected the light off it. The last book she was reading was Shadow Bridge.
13. From the type of books located on the bookshelf in her tent, we can conclude that Phillip Garrido spent a significant amount of time here reading. In the quiet of the backyard compound, Phillip Garrido befriended Alyssa and over the years, the two of them have developed into soulmates.
14. During the day, she worked from her tent. She did the graphic design from the table next to the book shelf. That same tent was where she serviced men brought in by Phillip Garrido. Over the years, there were many sex orgies held in that tent.
On the more ‘normal’ days, she spent time with the 2 girls sitting out on the chairs outside her tent perhaps to teach them.
15. The 2 girls spent the day in the garden but they also spent time with Nancy in the house for their education. Alyssa could provide basic reading using books such as "Do Cats Think", "The Cat Who Went to Paris" which are fairly basic books. During the day, the 2 younger girls used the tent behind the sound proof shed where their clothings are stored.
16. When evening came, Alyssa helped out with the cooking duties. She developed some expertise in cooking.
17. After dinner, she would helped out with the dishes and then returned to her tent. Later in the evening after Phillip Garrido had put the 2 younger girls to bed in the house, he would return back to the backyard compound. Alyssa would then joined him in the tent. Alyssa slept with Phillip Garrido nightly largely in that tent.
Over the years, for some excitement and change of scenery, they had also slept in the neighbour's (Damon Robinson) shed and some other sheds around the backyard compound garden.
After the recovery of Jaycee Dugard, Phillip Garrido made a statement to the radio station that the girls slept in his arms every night since they were born. It was a technically factual statement expressed in an oblique way. What we believe that he was trying to tell the world was that he put the girl to bed every night in the house before returning to the garden to his wife of choice, Alyssa.
18. During the colder months, the routine was that Alyssa would spent time in her own tent reading at night and then moved to the family tent to join Phillip Garrido. They would copulate in the tent till the morning. Once Phillip Garrido returned back to the house, Alyssa would then join the rest of the family for breakfast and the 2 girls would return back with her to the backyard compound after breakfast.
19. During the hot summer month between July and August, Phillip Garrido and Alyssa spent their nights in the air-conditioned shed. This was derived from the GPS data and also photos showing bedding and mattresses in there. In that room, they would watched pornographic movies and acted out their fantasies.
20. After 18 years of almost daily/night sex, Alyssa developed a Sexual Addiction. She has become more and more like Phillip Garrido.
The photographs were taken largely by British photographer Nick Stern and Paul Sakuma from Mercury News and widely published in several news media.
TruTV has a good write-up about the overall story. We provide a narrative from a different perspective.